Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I'm not a huge fan of movie musicals as a general rule, but I confess there are a few of them that I not only like... I lurve. I will readily admit to watching "Sound of Music" over 50 times. I will sit through "Guys and Dolls" any day. And though I won't watch the whole thing, I really love the opening song of "Oklahoma!." So, with nothing else to do last Saturday night, I cozied up with a bottle of wine and a late showing of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". And um, I was stunned.

I present to you Exhibition #1 the song "Lonesome Polecat"


CALEB
I'm a lonesome polecat
Lonesome, sad and blue
'Cause I ain't got no feminine polecat
Vowin' to be true
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Cain't make no vows
To a herd o' cows.
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh


(I literally sat staring at my TV screen with my mouth agape at this point)

FRANK & GIDEON
I'm a mean old hounddog
Bayin' at the moon
'Cause I ain't got no lady friend hounddog
Here to hear my tune
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
FRANK, GIDEON & BENJAMIN
A man cain't sleep
When he sleeps with sheep
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh

FRANK, GIDEON, BENJAMIN, DANIEL & EPHRAIM
I'm a li'l old hoot owl
Hootin' in the trees
'Cause I ain't got no little gal owl fowl
Here to shoot the breeze
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Cain't shoot no breeze
With a bunch o' trees
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh


Let's see... "A man cain't sleep When he sleeps with sheep"... Why? Is he getting hot and bothered by the sheep???

Is it just me, or is this song more than a little disturbing..

1 comment:

Mrs. Myrtle Standich said...

I'm of the hate-movie-musicals populace for the most part as well, but I could watch Singin' In the Rain day in and day out. Make
'Em Laugh, Singin' In The Rain-songs that I can't get enough of. And really, who doesn't love Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor (He performed with a talking mule for Christ's sake). Check that out if you haven't.