Thursday, April 06, 2006

Wine Pairing


One of the nice things about dating a sommelier is that you get free wine pairing recommendations on demand. This weekend, I'm going to a crawfish boil. This means I'm going to have to ply some poor bastard with good wine so they will be kind enough to prepare the crawfish for me to eat. I like crawfish, really. I just can't twist their heads off. It grosses me out.

Anyway, so it's lucky for me that I now know that two great wines to go with crawfish are Trimbach Pinot Gris (or the gewurtzraminer) and the Etude Carneros Rose Pinot Noir (pinot noir based rose).

I also got a mini-lesson on what's the difference between pinot gris and pinot grigio.. From what I can tell, they're the same thing only "gris" is generally from France and "grigio" is either from Italy or California. I'm sure that will be helpful to know one day.

No comments: