Saturday, January 20, 2007

Milking It

If you were really quick on the draw and by that I mean, randomly reading this blog late Friday night, you might have caught a rambling (and I'll admit it), somewhat drunken post about how soul-crushingly bad my day was yesterday. I woke up this morning and immediately deleted it. Self-pity does not become me. But since the following might not make sense without some prior-knowledge, I'll summarize: I had gotten an emergency call to go pick up a momma dog and six 2-day old pups--all of the babies died within hours. Momma survived. People are idiots--blah de blah.

So, today, I'm picking up Momma from the vet and receiving her discharge instructions...

Dr. B--So, you're going to be giving warm compresses on her tummy as often as possible. She'll be in some pain, but Dr. N suggested that you could relieve that by milking her a little.

Me: come again?

Dr. B--Now, we disagree on this because, while she thinks that will help relieve pressure, it might actually stimulate more milk production which will only prolong the problem.

Me: I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on the first thing you said. Did you just say I might have to MILK THE DOG??

Dr. B--Or not, it's up to you.

Me: yeah, that's not going to happen.

3 comments:

Steph said...

You are better than me - I never delete my self-pitying rants. :)

Poor dogs - what happened? Will the mom be okay?

Stinkydog said...

The numbnuts who had momma and babies were keeping them outside..in this weather!!! I mean, like not even in a garage or anything. The babies died of exposure and because momma wouldn't nurse because she is sick. It was a lovely situation.

Momma will be OK I think. She has heartworms and several intestinal parasites and mastitis (sp?). But other than that, she's ok. She's sleeping on my foot right now. There has been no milking :)

happyboogie said...

Wow, you never think of these types of scenarios until you find yourself in them. Sorry about the bad day however. You have great skill in shining the light on the humor of tragic situations.