Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Puppy Watch Update

I think I've read approximately 17 articles and two book chapters on birthing doggie babies in the last two days. None of them have been particularly helpful in telling me how to not completely freak out when the moment comes. Did you know that one of the signs of pre-labor in a dog is when her temperature drops at least two degrees (or goes below 100)?? I didn't.

Big Momma Wide Load (Ninja) had a temperature of 99.5 degrees at lunch--down from 101.7 on Monday. She was incredibly patient with me while I proceeded to take her temperature six times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. They say that means she's probably going to give birth within 24-48 hours. Our vet had to talk me down off the ceiling before I could go back to work this afternoon. No puppies so far.

Because I'm not completely insane, she's on her way to my Mentor's house in San Antonio so she can have her babies in peace and I can focus on Little Momma Fatty Fat who is due next week. I have approximately six days to buck the hell up and get ready. It's ridiculous-- Little Momma's doing great. I need a sedative.

No comments: