Friday, March 02, 2007

Your contempt for any state that doesn't start with "Tex" and end with "As"

Back before I moved to Texas 10 years ago, I had no idea there was such a day as Texas Independence Day--a day wildy celebrated in Austin. Color me silly (or Arkansan). When I first moved to town, I was a little stunned at just how much state pride there is here. There is just no other state I can think of where people regularly decorate their homes, offices, cars AND clothes with the state seal or flag... or horseshoes that feature both the state flag and seal (no joke) or planters that play "The Yellow Rose of Texas" (no, really). I'm not talking about freaks--these are normal people, people I work and live around --and okay, well maybe that "freak" label is up for discussion-but even after 10 years, it still kinda cracks me up and I still find it a little endearing. This Bud Light Commercial? Not even an exaggeration. This guy has an office two doors down from mine. But far be it from me to deny any reason to sip a little Lone Star on a warm March evening... So, Here's to you Mr. Way Too Into Texas Guy. I kinda like it here too.

No comments: