Sunday, December 16, 2007

Late Review

by the way, I hadn't mentioned it, but I saw The Golden Compass. And?? well, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either...which is a shame because I really really wanted to love it as much as I love the books. My main complaints are that they left too much out and watered it down to get a PG-13 rating. In my opinion, when you're dealing with the awesomeness that is the His Dark Materials Trilogy, you need to give as much time as possible and go whole hog. I mean, for crissakes, that last Pirates of the Carribbean movie was over 3 hours long and god knows we didn't need but about 20 minutes of that dung. We couldn't give Golden Compass a few more frames? And dude, the books are SCARY. The first time I read Golden Compass, I couldn't believe they were actually selling it in the children's section. It makes Harry Potter seem like Beatrix Potter, you hear what I'm saying? So, let's drop this PG-13 ruse and get with the program, Ok?

There are some things I loved about the movie. The girl who plays Lyra is really good and not annoying at all. But...man, the song during the closing credits? Wow, really painful.

In short--go see it. But read the book first, ok?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Where is my christmas song for the day???? The kids saw the movie and loved it.