Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Franken-STEEN

I know I've mentioned before that Halloween is my favorite holiday and I normally get into decorating at work, decorating at home, coming up with costumes, being more dressed up than the Trick or Treaters that come to my house....sigh, I love Halloween. But this year, it's kind of the Halloween That Wasn't. For one, work has been wayyy too busy to do much decorating. Our house is being jackhammered at all angles because our foundation is being fixed, so not only can I not put up decorations outside, but I'm having to put up caution tape to keep Trick or Treaters away this year because I'm afraid some little kid is going to fall down in one of the twenty or so 4-5 ft deep holes surrounding our front porch and break his leg. So, what is left to me and my Halloween dreams, huh?

I've decided that tonight, I'm beginning my Essential Halloween Viewing Marathon. Now, for most people this would mean renting the Nightmare on Elm Street series and and the Saw series and any number of zombie flicks.. Not me. I mean, I love Halloween and all, but dude, I hate scary slasher movies. Hate 'em. Ick. I don't care if it's Karo syrup and food coloring, I still don't like it. Not entertaining to me. Howdehoo, there are still lots of things I consider Essential Halloween Viewing and because yall are good, I'm sharing them with you now. well, don't just sit there, go find at least one of these and watch it with me!

1. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) ok, if you don't like musicals, you're probably a little SOL on this one, but it's really fabulous and in my opinion, the only time that it's acceptable to mention Christmas before November 1st.

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Halloween". This aired during the second season and it's the one where everyone "becomes" whatever their costume is.Buffy becomes a southern belle (i.e. totally useless) so the supporting characters get the chance to save the day for for once.

3. Young Frankenstein (1974) Mel Brooks takes on a classic. Best version of Putting on the Ritz ever.

4. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. c'mon, that's a given, right? It's on Thursday here (I think). doh! It's on TONIGHT! 7pm, ABC.

5. X-Files, "Bad Blood" Season 5. Possibly the funniest X-Files ever. Scully and Mulder investigate a series of ex-sanguinations in a small Texas town. Shot from their wildly varied viewpoints, includes Luke Wilson as the Sheriff and David Duchovny singing "Shaft". (embedded below for your viewing pleasure)



add your own non-slashery halloween goodness in the comments..

No comments: