Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Music

I have two very early memories of music:

1). We're in our girls shared bedroom. I was about 5 years old. My brother who was 9 and sister who was 11 were having a heated argument over who was the Best Band In The World Of All Time:  the Beatles or ABBA.  All evidence given at the time,  I was in the ABBA camp.

2). My sisters and I are trying to choreograph a dance to "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground."  The only thing we come up with is shaking our bodies down to the ground. It was a short dance.

But thinking on it, it's really not the only two early memories of music I have. I also remember that my best friend Amy owned the Goofy Greats Album by Ktel and Ronco records and we memorized the words to every single song including Snoopy vs. the Red Baron, which is kind of quite a bit about death, it turns out..

I remember exactly which 8 tracks my mom owned:
Elvis Presley Live at Madison Square Garden
Linda Ronstadt Greatest Hits
An Evening with John Denver
and one of my dads:  3 Dog Night One

I remember that sometimes when we were driving and "Take the Long Way Home" came on the radio, my mom would indulge us and take a different route.

I was just thinking of this the other day because Hopper is becoming very choosy about music these days. I'm not allowed to talk if the radio in the car is on. "Sssshhh MOM, You're bothering the MUSIC." We have to listen to the closing credits of every show after which he will announce whether the music was BAD (Fresh Beat Band) or good (Nerfherder)--his choices, not mine, though I agree with you kid, the Fresh Beat Band needs to die ok, not die, maybe just get mono or some other voice eliminating illness. Two things he seems to like in particular:  fast electric guitar and symphonies.   please god, don't let him grow up to be in Trans-Siberian Orchestra, that's all I ask.  

I think that he must be garnering his own first musical memories and I can't help but wonder what they are.

I should play him this.

No comments: