Monday, December 21, 2015

The Binge Report

Sometime around 6 years, 9 months and 16 days ago (see:  March 5, 2009), I stopped watching TV. I tried to keep up with the times, but I realized that on the hierarchy of needs, TV was below sleep and I've not been up to date with a major network show since. This is why Netflix and Amazon Prime are perfect for me. While other people complain about the lack of viewing choices available, I'm like, "OOOH, I wonder if this Breaking Bad show is any good??" (I kid, though I'm not near done with the series ).  There's so much I've missed, I will never, ever catch up and it's fine by me.  But every year, around the holidays, after I'm done with all my shopping and work projects and I've eaten too much chocolate to consider going to the Y a viable plan, I start binge watching something or another.  So, this week, I've started on three shows already:

First, Making of a Murderer (Netflix Original). A documentary about a guy who was exonerated after 18 years for a rape he didn't commit and then arrested two years later for murder just as he's about to sue the everloving shit out of the sheriff and district attorney for corruption. I've watched the first two episodes and I'm not sure I can continue. It makes me ragey. It's not hard to find the outcome of this guy's life (it's pretty easily googled), but man. The first two episodes will make you question a LOT of things.  I needed a break after just the first two. I still want to watch it, but it's pretty heavy for the holiday season.

Master of None (Netflix Original).  I've been meaning to read Aziz Ansari's book, but I'm like number 27 on the waitlist at the library, so I'm making do. I think the show is pretty hilarious, though I'm having quite a few gray hair moments watching it. It's weird new feeling when you identify more with the character's parents than you do anyone else.

Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netlix Original). YES! I was all bummed out by Making of a Murderer and I kept having to pause Master of None at some of the cringey moments, but I am DIGGING Jessica Jones. Apparently, there was a comic book and people already know all about the Jessica Jones backstory, but I had never heard of it. I would even maybe suggest not looking any of that up and just watching it fresh. It's a little dark, a little funny, a little mysterious, completely fictional and based on a comic book, but I think addresses the damsel in distress situation in a way you almost never get to see. Digging It.

AND I have the entire week off next week-- I have like 27 shows in my queue. By January 1, I should probably be able to hold a somewhat up-to-date pop culture conversation, but if I finally finish LOST and they're not rescued from that damned island, I'm going to be pissed.

No comments: