Friday, January 20, 2006

The Sammelier

People are always asking me what is that certification thing that Sam has that makes him an official wine geek (as opposed to an unofficial one). He's a sommelier. He's not in the Court of Master Sommeliers...yet (but he is certified by the ISG) If you shop at Target, you've probably heard of Andrea Immer. She's one. And off topic: She'd probably argue with Wikipedia that sommeliers are waiters. Anyway, what being a sommelier means, for us anyway, is that he can tell you a lot about the wine you're drinking--where it comes from, how it was made, what it should taste like, what you should drink it with food-wise, etc, etc. We don't have to discuss every wine we drink, but we do quite a bit. It's handy.

But seriously, I don't think you should be allowed to be a sommelier unless you pose for this picture...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God!!! That is the funniest picture ever. He looks like a mix between the geek squad and a James Bond wannabe. I must say also the he looks awfully thin.....Lee you must be eating all the good chees and wine. And I'm so impressed my name almost got mentioned in the wine's we love list.

Anonymous said...

How old is that Pic and what's with the McGuyver moustache?! See you guys this weekend...and ask Sam to wear that Sat night!! LOL C-LOVE

Stinkydog said...

That picture was from 2004 back when Sam and our friend Sean were having a contest to see who could grow the cheesiest moustache. Sean actually won, if you can believe it.. But this picture makes me laugh and laugh. I have it up in my office.