Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Speaking of bad 80's music...

Sam did not go to his high school prom. I actually went to five of them. (I went to an all-girls' school so we had ours, the boys' school and then the public schools--junior and senior year). I'm not bragging, believe me. I can pretty much say that I think I had fun at a total of... one of them. But I think that Prom is something that every high school kid should have a chance to suffer through. The DJ music, the horrifying decorations, the painful, painful slow dancing skills...

Student's at the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired here in Austin are trying to raise money to put on a real prom . It's a little more difficult for them because they have no PTA to help out with fundraisers. Most of the students at the school are hundreds of miles from home, so they don't have a lot of ties for community support either. They're about 1/2 way to their goal of $5000 now, but prom season is almost here! Consider donating to the cause. Maybe their prom memories will make up for yours. Call 512-206-9104 for more info on how you can help.

No comments: