Thursday, March 30, 2006

Storycorps

If my grandfather hadn't died just over a year ago, you can bet your ass I'd be down at the Storycorps Booth when it comes to Austin next week. I didn't know my grandfather well, but I know he had an incredibly interesting history--from his boyhood in Germany, entering America on Ellis Island after crossing the ocean on a ship in the 1930's (that ship was later used in Hitler's navy).. to surviving at least one small plane crash (he was a crop duster). I know vague outlines of the stories, but not great details. I really wish I had had the opportunity to just...sit down with him and gab.

You can do it before it's too late. It doesn't have to be a grandparent, just anyone whose story you want to preserve. It may not seem urgent or important now, but trust me, you'll mourn the loss of the opportunity when it's gone.









link via NPR.org

No comments: