Wednesday, November 14, 2007

When the Skies of November Turn Gloomy

I meant to post this last week, when it was the 32nd anniversary of the date of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. A horrible tragedy for sure, but because of that damned Gordon Lightfoot, an event that resulted in possibly my favorite song ever...When I was five.* I don't know if it was the incredibly repetitive melody, the depressing lyrics or the fact that anyone could sing this song and not sound out of tune (even Chet Baker), but something about it was just awesome. I still remember all the words, don't you?





*Gordon only got knocked out of my favorites list when Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) came out two years later, and that's only because we came up with a theme dance which involved, uh, dancing and shaking our bodies down to the ground-- something you can't do with Gordon Lightfoot tunes. Sadly.

anyway, watch the video then email me 12 hours later and tell me if you've stopped humming the song yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny. i had completely forgotten about this song until my brother recently reminded me that it had been one of dad's favorites in the 70's. so, after he made me feel bad about forgetting (sibling are great that way, aren't they?) i found the song and IMMEDIATELY recognized the first strains of the guitar. if we were playing "name that tune," i would have done it in one note. anyhow, i'll never forget the song again and i really can't believe that it's one of your favorites, stinky. by the way, you did recognize that it is playing too fast in the youtube video, right? it's not nearly doleful enough.

best song ever, though? well, that's another can of worms there.

Stinkydog said...

when I was FIVE!

favorite when I was five. there are years and years of John Denver's Greatest hits between now and then.

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about that song, but NOTHING tops Grandma's feather bed by John Denver. I still sing it at the top of my lungs every christmas (b/c it's on the christmas CD you made me). Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees comes second.
And hey, where's my next christmas CD???

Stinkydog said...

HA! see, I told you. JD was a family fave.

Suzy said...

Thirty-six hours later: still humming it.