Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Doy

Ok, you're going to need to read this first. Got it? No? Here's the nutshell version: Williamson County Animal Shelter has decided to stop its promotional program to advocate the adoption of black cats and dogs because it would have coincided with Juneteeth.

Want to know what I think? hmmm, if I thought the Williamson County shelter folks were wily and evil enough to sit around in their offices trying to come up with some way to simultaneously promote bigotry and (bonus!) adopt out a few animals by running a promotion during a revered holiday for African Americans, I might be pissed because...dewd, NOT cool. But you know what? they're not that wily and evil, trust me, I've been there. I once got a tour from someone with a piece of toilet paper stuck to her shoe and when I pointed it out to her she said it was to keep the dog poop stuck underneath there from spreading around. I'm telling you... NOT wily.

Case of (really) bad timing?? If you really feel like black fur on a dog or cat has anything to do with race relations in the United States. Personally, I think this is is just a wee bit overblown racial sensitivity on behalf of the NAACP rep.

Nelson Linder, president of the Austin chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said that instead of offering a promotion based on a color, the shelter should have done more to address why black animals are adopted less often.

Um, I can answer that one. Maybe Mr. Linder doesn't know this, but it's a very commonly known fact among rescuers and shelter folks that black dogs and cats don't get adopted as easily as lighter colored ones. For one, they don't photograph as well so their pictures don't get as much attention on websites. Sometimes they look older than they are because they'll get grey around their mouths (see: Fergus). Additionally, people are superstitious about black cats. And finally most households have light colored floors or carpets, so a lot of people don't want black fur all over it (note to these people: light fur? doesn't make your floor any less furry). Does that sound racial at all to you? It doesn't to me, but maybe I'm being thick?

I'm just wondering if the AARP is going to come after us when we have Adopt a Senior Dog right around Grandparents Day..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard...fur is not the same as skin color and personally, I prefer a black dog (Raven is Black)and think that Nelson is being ridiculous...ridiculous I say