Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Wednesday

Wait up. Is it only Tuesday? Dammit. I have been operating under the delusion that it's Wednesday since I got to work this morning. This is highly unsettling. Can't we make a deal? How 'bout you guys come in to work for 3 more days and I, um, don't. That work? No? shit.

So, do you have big plans for the weekend? My sister is coming to town and we're going to do fun things, but mostly, we're just going to be sitting in cold water as much as possible. I know it limits the activities, but honestly, it's for the best. I know that she thinks that because she is only a mere state away that she's prepared for the HOT. She isn't. Trust me. I can barely stand to walk to mailbox this year without turning on a sprinklers first so I can make this 25ft trek through cooling droplets. In fact, if I could have cooling droplets everywhere I go, that would be awesome. Someone needs to get on that.

Anyway, as we're going to a cookout on that day, I've been looking for something to make other than my normal spinach dip. It needs to be a side dish, but not potato salad. We've discussed my lack of communication skills with anything resembling an oven before, so I think I might try this:


Watermelon Spinach Salad
NGREDIENTS

* POPPY SEED VINAIGRETTE:
* 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
* SALAD:
* 1 (6 ounce) package fresh baby spinach, torn
* 2 cups seeded, cubed watermelon
* 1 cup halved green grapes
* 1 cup fresh raspberries
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds
DIRECTIONS

1. In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder and salt. Cover and process until sugar is dissolved. Continue processing while adding oil in a steady stream. Add onion and poppy seeds; process until combined.
2. In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, watermelon, grapes and raspberries; sprinkle with almonds. Serve with vinaigrette.


what do you think? Sound good?

3 comments:

Steph said...

Yum.

The Girl You Used to Know said...

stomach just growled. Thx for that.

Robyn said...

I have had that salad except with strawberries instead of rasberries! DELISH! Make it!