Wednesday, January 05, 2011

oh MTV, must you screw up everything?

Normally, I wouldn't give a rat's ascot about what MTV is or is not doing. I'm old enough to know that the network is a complete fungus that lives solely off the stupidity of anybody under 27. And I say that with all the judgment of a person who just set their DVR to record "Toddlers and Tiaras." But, now, they're messing with one of my favorite shows ever by re-inventing the original British series, Skins. I don't even want to link to it, but here it is. Retch. Man, just do me a favor and don't even watch the trailer. Go directly to Netflix or whatever is your preferred method of video viewing and just watch the first two seasons of the ORIGINAL series. The one where the kids can actually act and there is a lot of sex and drugs and eating disorders and no one learns any lessons about anything because of it. It's just a really great, well written show with amazing music. Also, it has the kid from About a Boy (one of my favorite books made into movies ever) all grown up and actually, pretty smokin', though it makes me feel like a dirty old man to say that. At any rate, do yourself a favor--skip the MTV version. Watch the original.

Here is one of my favorite scenes ever--from the finale of the first season. (Don't worry, it won't spoil anything for you. Not really).

I can just see the American version redoing this whole thing with some song by Bruno Mars or something. God, MTV, you suck.

No comments: