Friday, March 21, 2014

Pragmatism

This afternoon, I was trying to explain to Hopper and Rowan that Fergus, our dog wasn't going to come home because he died today. So, I told them that Fergus wouldn't be around anymore and went into this whole spiel about how Fergus was playing at The Rainbow Bridge and he was happy because he wasn't blind now and  could run now and chase birds and do whatever his heart desired . All his ailments had gone away,  he wasn't old and arthritic anymore and we'd see him again when the time came... Hopper stopped me mid-poetic outburst and said, "Does that mean Fergus is dead?"
"Yes," I said.
"Did you watch him die?"
"Yes."
He thought about it for a second and then said, "Mama, You're still alive right?"
"Of course I am."
"And I am and Rowan is and Mr. Bean is and Hudson is and Dad is?"
"Yes."
"And Fergus won't fart anymore?"
"Probably not."
"Good, Because they'd probably kick him off that bridge if he did."

Then he hugged me really tight and ran outside.

1 comment:

Older not wiser said...

Only those of that loved Fergus and had been in a room with him can truly appreciate Hopper's comment.