Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Suck it, Barney

For whatever reason, neither one of my boys has ever gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs over dinosaurs. They will play with dinosaurs from time to time, watch a little Dinosaur Train here and there, but  I would say that the prehistoric set has never really achieved the universal love that, say, ROBOTS AND ROBOT-LIKE STRUCTURES AND ANYTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING ROBOTS OR THEIR SUBSIDIARIES enjoy among the young Hovland males.  So, I really didn't think much of it this weekend when  we were at a little festival here in town where they had some cast members of an upcoming show called Erth's Dinosaur Zoo Live. 

Now, I don't know if you know anything about the show, but from what I can find on google, it's a live sort of wildlife show about dinosaurs using these reeeeeaalllly life-like puppets. (photo of one nabbed from google images here).


So, we walk into this festival this weekend and we see a big crowd of kids around one of these puppets and it's the T-Rex (or something approximating a T-Rex, I don't watch enough Dinosaur Train to know). At first the puppet is bent over on the ground so the kids can pet it, which is when we approach. And then the guy stands up and the whole contraption is about ten feet tall with gigantic teeth.  About this time, Rowan, who was standing right next to me, clutches my leg in a death grip and lets out the loudest, most hysterical scream I have ever heard come out of this kid. You might have heard it? Around 11:45 last Saturday morning? Yeah, that was him.  
It took me about 30 minutes to calm him down and convince him that this puppet was not going to come eat us. He even kept checking behind us when we pulled out of the parking garage an hour later, you know, just in case this guy in a 10ft rubber T-Rex costume was coming after us. When we got home, he took all the little plastic dinos the puppy has not yet eaten and attempted to hide them in an Elmo coloring book. 

Suffice it to say that I'm pretty sure any affection my son had for dinosaurs at all is, uh, extinct. (heh)  

No comments: