Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Halloween Miracle

So, that was a little two month long break in blogging that I hadn't intended to take, but I got a little busy, what can I say? But I've decided to make up for it, I'm going to try another Blog Post Every Single Day thing for March. Just after deciding that (2 seconds ago), I realized that this is not March 1, so I'm early. Bonus!
I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned, but I have a black thumb. My husband refers to me walking the aisles of the plant department at Home Depot as "trolling for victims." I have gotten somewhat better as I've gotten older, but as of right now, not a single Hovland plant made it through that one weekend of frost weather we had back in January.. So, we have "big plans" for a small garden this spring. And by "big plans" I mean: Hopper has been stealing lemons from my iced tea at restaurants and hoarding the seeds in his pockets. Supposedly, he and Rowan have been planting these seeds all over the back yard and we should be seeing around twenty or so lemon trees popping up sometime in the next week or so. We're a little fuzzy on when the actual sprouting is supposed to occur, but they tell me it will be "Very Lemony Up In Here."
 It could happen. The reason I know it could happen is because we have experienced a Halloween Miracle in February.
Every year, I buy a pumpkin for our front porch at Halloweentime. Sometimes, we actually get around to turning it into a jack-o-lantern, but not always. Other times, we just let the pumpkin look all decorative in it's whole form until, inevitably, the 95 degree temperatures we have that pass for "fall weather" around here induces a bit of , well, rotting.  And I actually don't mind a bit of rot, that can look decorative too! (read: yes, I am totally lazy enough to leave a rotting pumpkin on my front porch). But eventually, I do move it to the side of the house, so it can finish decomposing and some critters can eat it. (note: I don't know if critters actually eat it. I like to think that they do, but it's entirely possible they're not pumpkin fans).
But this year, something cool happened.  Yes, the pumpkin rotted and yes, I shuffled it over to the side, but THIS time, LOOK!



Can you believe it?  A REAL LIVE PUMPKIN PLANT HAS ARISEN FROM THE ASHES OF MY ROTTING  NEVER-JACKOLANTERN. 
At least, I think that's a pumpkin plant. I need to believe this is a pumpkin plant. You know what? If this is NOT actually a pumpkin plant and is instead a rather spectacularly elaborate weed that just somehow managed to sprout up exactly on top of a mound of old pumpkin seeds, don't tell me, Ok? I don't want to know. I'm living my Halloween Miracle and you can't take that away from me.

No comments: